- Integration guide for SearchSync
- Step 1: Define your SEA sync strategy
- Step 2: Set up your sync campaign(s)
- Step 3: Synchronize your campaign(s)
- Comparing synced and non-synced campaigns
- Watch the SearchSync training video
- More information: SearchSync product information, How to tell a connected brand story with TVSync®
84% of smartphone and tablet owners use their mobile devices as a Second Screen while watching TV. In this multi-screen reality, the search window is only one click away.
Almost 1 in 3 look up product information online after watching a TV ad, resulting in significant spikes in search traffic for the TV-promoted products and brands.
Now imagine your TV ad airs and TV-inspired searchers do not get to your website because your competitor occupies the top position in the search results. In this example, Charles Schwab promotes “wealth management” in a TV ad, but only shows up in position six for this term, literally handing over prospective clients to competitors.
SearchSync allows you to synchronize your paid search campaigns with TV ads. Thereby you can optimize your SEM spend and lead TV-inspired search traffic to your website when the buying intent is highest.
Integration guide for SearchSync
Step 1: Define your SEA sync strategy
First, define when you want to outbid your competition to secure the top position in the search results. You can target TV-inspired search engine users by syncing:
This strategy is recommended, e.g. when continuous bidding for the top position for certain keywords would be too expensive for your overall SEM budget, but you want to secure the top position when your TV ad airs. In this example, WeightWatchers synchronizes its PPC campaign for WeightWatchers’ offers (keyword “weight loss”) with the own TV ad’s airing.
This strategy is recommended, e.g. when a competitor outbids you for searches related to a product you offer, but you want to be found in the top position when the product’s TV ad airs. In this example, Walmart synchronizes a SEA campaign for Samsung TVs at Walmart (keyword “Samsung TV”) with the complementary TV ad for the Samsung UHD TV product.
This strategy is recommended, e.g. when your competitor seems to be in the top position for your relevant keywords all the time and you want to position yourself as a prominent alternative. In this example, Nissan synchronizes a PPC campaign for the Nissan LEAF (keyword “electric car”) with the competitor’s TV ad for the Toyota Prius.
You can either choose a single strategy or a mix of strategies to capture the maximum of TV-inspired search traffic.
Step 2: Set up your sync campaign(s)
The following description serves as a quick overview on how to set up a sync campaign, a detailed guide can be found here.
1. Access your Google Adwords client account
2. Duplicate (or create) the relevant existing Adwords campaign and set the status to “PAUSED”
3. Update the selected sync campaign depending on the
- Use case (Which keywords are shown/mentioned in the TV ad?)
- Budgets (How much more am I willing to bid to get a top position?)
- Geography (Where is the TV ad aired?)
Step 3: Synchronize your campaign(s)
1. The actual TVSync® works by wywy detecting a TV ad in real-time whenever it airs and then setting the campaign status to active for a certain time period. For that, you need to grant us access to your Adwords account through the My Client Center.
Comparing synced and non-synced campaigns
Adwords allows for reports to be broken down into hours. It is therefore not possible to report on SearchSync campaigns at the airing or spot level. One advantage of setting up separate (ideally duplicated) campaigns for SearchSync is the ability to track the performance separately from the normal non-synced PPC campaign.
Since a SearchSync campaign will only deliver impressions and receive clicks as a direct result of a TV ad’s airing within the defined delivery window, reviewing the campaign performance as a whole or individual keywords is no different than reviewing a standard search campaign.
Continuously review the campaign to make sure that bids are adequate, costs and impressions are within budget and that the targeted average position is reached. Keywords can always be adjusted accordingly.
SearchSync training video for more information
In case you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us:
Your contact for the US & Canada: (other countries)
Tel.: +1 646 7413141
Fax +1 646 5132733